This, I Saw
- Dark One
- See Leviathan.
- God of Many Points
- See Leviathan.
- Six warriors who served Morte Mamme, four men and two women. They were captured by Leviathan's Tribe and given a choice. They refused to join Leviathan and were placed in a Puzzle Chamber and buried alive. They failed to open the chamber by force and so attempted to solve the puzzle. The Lamp they were given needed flesh to stay alight. The Harrowers took turns in sacrificing arms and feet to keep it burning. they eventually solved the riddle but the final part of the puzzle required feet and hands to activate it. The Harrowers died, trapped in the puzzle chamber.
- Also: Dark One, God of Many Points
- The lord of Hell. "A perfect form of spinning points" that "enjoys experiments in confinement and control". A giant spinning diamond, with black light emerging from it. Leviathan held Morte Mamme prisoner and sacrificed his only direct passage to Earth to seal her away. Leviathan offered the Harrowers the chance to join his tribe or be sealed in the Puzzle Chamber. Leviathan intitially appeared on Earth but vanished through the vortex, dragging down Morte Mamme.
- Little Moon
- A member of a tribe that lived in Chee-Kai-Kai. Little Moon had black hair, dark eyes and was considered the runt of the tribe. He had to perform the Ritual of Change to obtain manhood. His path took him across the grassy hills, where no one had returned from before. He felt he learned many things on his journey of Change, each step bringing him "closer to manhood". He took with him a sparrow called Tico. He reached a mountain and could not go further. He used the Medicine of Change to join his inner spirit with Tico. Through Tico's eyes he flew over the mountain and witnessed Leviathan sealing Morte Mamme in the vortex. He flew into the Puzzle Chamber and witnessed the Harrowers fail to solve the puzzle. His spirit witnessed Tico's death and felt the pain. He returned to his tribe and told them "this, I saw". He led the tribe back to the site, where they erected a stone sparrow egg in monument to Tico and the buried Harrowers. Years later, Little Moon became the Tribe Shaman and told his story before his death.
- Morte Mamme
- A Goddess who was served by the Harrowers. She was an emey of Leviathan. Leviathan trappedher in the vortex "between Hell and Earth where even a Goddess holds no power". She could only be freed had the Harrowers solved the Puzzle Chamber.
- The Shaman of Little Moon's tribe. He was an old man with no hair. He conducted the Choosing Ritual for Little Moon and gave him the sun-compass. He was the only one in the tribe who had faith in Little Moon. He later journey to the site of the vortex where he sculpted a giant, stone sparrow's egg.
- A small sparrow that accompanied Little Moon on his Ritual of Change. A sparrow was considered "the runt of birds" by the tribe. Tico shared the Medicine of Change and carried Little Moon's spirit with him. Tico witnessed Morte Mamme being sealed in the vortex and entered the Puzzle Chamber. After witnessing the Harrowers deaths, Tico escaped via a tiny crack but was killed by one of Leviathan's Tribe.
- Tribe, Leviathan's
- A tribe of "the most afflicted warriors", they served Leviathan and helped him seal Morte Mamme and the Harrowers into the vortex. They remained on Earth after the gateway was closed. A member of the tribe killed Tico by crushing him in their hand.
- Tribe, Little Moon's
- The ribe that Little Moon belonged to. They had to undergo the Ritual of Change to obtain manhood. They considered Little Moon the runt and did not believe he would survive.
- Tribe Leader
- The leader of Leviathan's Tribe. he wore a red robe and had a stone crown imbedded in his head. He gave the Harrowers a Lamp that fed on flesh and told them they must solve the Puzzle Chamber to free themselves and Morte Mamme.
- An underground cave. It is the location of the Vortex, where the Harrowers were trapped in the Puzzle Chamber.
- The name of the land Little Moon lives in and explores.
- The human world, seperated from Hell by the vortex.
- Grassy Hills
- The grassy hills were located near Little Moon's tribe. No tribesman had ever returned from them. Little Moon had to travel across them.
- The realm of Leviathan, seperated from Earth by a vortex.
- Puzzle Chamber
- A large stone chamber constructed by Leviathan's Tribe and placed above the vortex where Morte Mamme was imprisoned. The Harrowers were trapped within the Puzzle Chamber. There is no light, and the only way out is to solve the puzzle. This involves translating text on a stone dias in the centre of the room and then placing hands and feet on the correct points in alcoves around the room. The Harrowers perished here after failing to complete the puzzle.
- Ridge of Stone
- A mountain that blocked Little Moon's path on his Journey of Change. His spirit flewover it with Tico. Later Little Moon, the Shaman and several warriors climbed it with ropes.
- Little Moon had to cross the river on his Journey of Change. He had to wade through the waters and avoid stepping stones, where deadly snakes were hidden.
- The large valley where Leviathan's Tribe trapped Morte Mamme and the Harrowers in the vortex.
- Little Moon's village. Little Moon began his Journey of Change here. He would grow up to be the village shaman.
- This belonged to the largest of the Harrowers. It was cut into strips. Whoever picked the shortest had to sacrifice their flesh for the lamp.
- Choosing Ritual
- A ritual performed by Little Moon as part of the Ritual of Change. He was blindfolded and spun round by his Shaman whislt holding a spear. He thre the spear and it pointed to the direction he had to travel.
- Leviathan offered the Harrowers a choice. Join his tribe or be buried in the Puzzle Chamber, trapped with Morte Mamme.
- Cursed Tongue
- The language of Leviathan. The text in the Puzzle Chamber was written in this.
- The Tribe Leader gave the Harrowers a Lamp that could only be rekindled with flesh. The Harrowers had to sacrifice their hands and feet to keep it alight.
- Inner Spirit
- The inner spirit of members of Little Moon's tribe. His inner spirit chose the path for his Journey of Change and later travelled with Tico.
- Journey of Change
- A ritual journey made by Little Moon as part of the Ritual of Change. It involved the Choosing Ritual to decide a path and then travelling that path straight, not deviating "more than the length of two spears". Little Moon had to travel as far as possible until he could go no further and then take the Medicine of Change.
- A lamp constructed by Leviathan's Tribe. The Tribe Leader gave it to the Harrowers for usein the Puzzle Chamber. It was lit by a burning severed hand and could only be rekindled by additional flesh. The Harrower's kept it lit with many of their hands and feet. It gave off a garish amber light.
- Latin was written on the edge of the central slab in the Puzzle Chamber. It read "Sex liberabit. Si aenigma explicata erit", translated as "Six shall release. If the puzzle is solved". The key to the puzzle was finding a rhyme scheme by translating the latin into sanskrit. The solution involved reading out "Credo fatum nos coegisse. Volo comparare nonnulla tegumembra".
- Little Moon would obtain manhood by completing the Ritual of Change.
- Medicine of Change
- A medicine taken by Little Moon as part of the Ritual of Change. When he could travel no further he prepared the medicine using spring-water. The medicine was shared with Tico and allowed Little Moon's spirit to fly with the sparrow.
- Passage to Earth
- See Vortex.
- Little moon's path on the Journey of Change. He could stray from it no more than "the length of two spears" without failing.
- Rhyme Scheme
- Translating the latin in the Puzzle Chamber into sanskrit revealed a rhyming scheme which was key to solving the puzzle.
- Ritual of Change
- A ritual journey made by Little Moon in order to obtain manhood. It involved the Choosing Ritual to decide a path and then travelling that path straight, not deviating "more than the length of two spears". Little Moon had to travel as far as possible until he could go no further and then take the Medicine of Change. He prepared the medicine using spring-water. The medicine was shared with Tico and allowed Little Moon's spirit to fly with the sparrow.
- Little Moon was the runt of the tribe and no one but the Shaman believed he would survive the Ritual of Change.
- Sparrow's Egg, Stone
- A large stone Sparrow's Egg was built by Little Moon's tribe to mark the spot where Morte Mamme and the Harrowers had been trapped by Leviathan. It marked the grave of both them and of Tico.
- Little Moon had to use this to prepare the Medicine of Change.
- As part of the Choosing Ritual, Little Moon threw the spear whislt blindfolded. It pointed to the grassy hills, the way he had to journey.
- The sun-compass was given to Little Moon by the Shaman as partof the Ritual of Change. It would show him the way to go so that he did not stray.
- Also: Passage to Earth
- The vortex between Hell and Earth located in a deep, underground cave. Morte Mamme held no power here. Leviathan sacrificed its only direct link to Earth to imprison Morte Mamme in the vortex. The Puzzle Chamber was placed on top of the area. The Vortex was then buried.
|400 B.C. (day 1)
||Little Moon performs the Choosing Ritual and sets out on his Journey of Change.
|400 B.C. (day 5)
Little Moon collects spring-water for the Medicine of Change.
|400 B.C. (day 6)
Day: Little Moon reaches an impassable ridge.
Night: He takes the Medicine of Change and witnesses Leviathan trap Morte Mamme and the Harrowers in the vortex.
|400 B.C. (day 7)
Morning: Little Moon wakes up from his spirit journey and heads back to his tribe.
|400 B.C. (day 12)
Little Moon returns to his tribe and tells them "this, I saw". Little Moon leads the shaman and warriors to the site of the vortex.
|400 B.C. (day 17)
Little Moon and his tribe build a stone sparrow's egg to mark the grave of Tico and the Harrowers.
|400 B.C. (years later)
Little Moon, now his tribes Shaman, tells his story before his death.
Clive Barker's Hellraiser, Book 16: "This, I Saw" by Malcolm Smith, Mike McMahon & Michael Heisler
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow