- Aide, First
- One of Sam's Aides. He had short, black hair and wore a suit. He told Sam that that Feds were on the way to see him. He threatened to shoot Mattfield on Sam's orders. He tried to flee the Dixie Shadow when Sam solved the Box and was taken to Hell by the Ferryman.
- Aide, Second
- One of Sam's Aides. He had brown hair and a moustache and wore a suit. He restrained Mattfield on Sam's orders. He tried to flee the Dixie Shadow when Sam solved the Box and was taken to Hell by the Ferryman.
- Boyd, Samuel James "Sam"
- A politician in Georgia and a former High Klansman. He had greying hair and wore a suit. Sam was a senatorial candidate who was under investigation by the F.B.I. for his involvment in racist activities. He still held his racist beliefs but felt the modern weapon was political power. Sam's defence fund had run out of money and when he heard the Feds were on the way he went in search of Taylor's Treasure. Sam visited Mattfield and made him tell the legend of the Dixie Shadow and threatened to kill him if Mattfield did not tell him where to find the Old Woman. Sam attacked the Old Woman until she told him where to find the Box. Sam explored the Dixie Shadow and shot his Lawyer who tried to flee. Sam found the Box and summoned the Cenobites. The Ferryman ripped Sam's chets open and tied him to the Dixie Shadow's wheel as they sailed into Hell.
- An old black man who was in his small boat with his son when they became dead in the water. He saw the Dixie Shadow but wished he hadn't.
- The Cenobite. When the Old Woman was found on the Dixie Shadow as a child, she said everyone on board had been taken by Demons.
- FBI Agents
- They arrived at Mattfield's home in search of Sam. They told Mattfield that Sam had been found innocent and they were there to protect him from threats.
- The Ferryman
- Cenobite summoned by the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow. He was Taylor's best champion in the games on the Dixie Shadow, "a self-flagellant disciple of pain who could crush a man's skull with his bare hands". He was taken to Hell when Taylor solved the Box on the Dixie Shadow and made into a Cenobite. As a Cenobite he is large, grey skinned and dressed in leather. He has hooked wires coming out of his shoulder that constantly tear at his own flesh and he has two large, metal hooks protruding from each hand instead of fingers. When Sam summoned him he claimed the legend of Taylor's treasure had brought many before and revealed Taylor was still being tortured onboard the Dixie Shadow. He took Sam and his two Aides to Hell.
- Ferryman Troop 1
- Cenobite summoned by the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow. It wore a leather outfit and its bottom lips were stretched down by hooks attached to its nipples. It had a metal hook for its right hand which it used to tear Taylor's back open. It accompanied The Ferryman to take Sam to Hell.
- Ferryman Troop 2
- Cenobite summoned by the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow. It was a large, hairy beast with razor sharp claws and no lower jaw. It uses its claw to tear open crewmembers of the Dixie Shadow. It accompanied The Ferryman to take Sam to Hell.
- Ferryman Troop 3
- Cenobite summoned by the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow. It wore a leather outfit and had a skull-like face with horns. It carried a harpoon which it fired into the a crew member of the Dixie Shadow. It accompanied The Ferryman to take Sam to Hell.
- Also: Old Woman
- The Puzzle Guardian of the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow. When the Cenobites took Taylor she was left behind in the form of a "deranged black child". She could take the form of a large eagle-like bird and helped spread the legend of Taylor's treasure. She lived in a Sanitarium where Sam beat her until she told him where to find the Box. The Ferryman revealed her to be the Guardian to Sam.
- Members of the Ku Klux Klan, a racist organisation. Sam and Mattfield had both been Klansmen in the past as was Harmon Taylor.
- Lawyer, Sam's
- One of Sam's Aides and his Lawyer. He was scrawny, balding and wore glasses and a suit. He felt Sam was panicing and that they were "clean". He tried to flee the Dixie Shadow, feeling it was evil, but Sam shot and killed him.
- Mattfield, John
- A friend of Sam's who was once in the Klan with him. Mattfield was older, with red hair and he wore a suit. He was a distant relation of Taylor. He felt Sam was over-reacting to the F.B.I. investigation and felt "the crisis will pass". Mattfield thought Taylor's treasure was just an old wive's tale but told Sam the legend. He claimed to have seen the Dixie Shadow on the water and heard its horn but Sam didn't believe him. When Sam threatened his life, Mattfield told him where to find the Old Woman. sam told him to stall the Feds. When the F.B.I. agents spoke to Mattfield he claimed to have not spoken to Sam in years. Mattfield heard the horn of the Dixie Shadow on its way to Hell.
- Old Woman
- See Guardian
- A young black boy who was in his dad's small boat when they became dead in the water. He asked his dad if he saw the name of the Dixie Shadow as it passed them.
- Taylor, Harmon
- Taylor was a politician and High Klansman in the thirties and a distant relative of Mattfield. He had short, black hair and wore a white suit. A legend suggested he had a hidden fortune of treaure that Sam wanted to find. Taylor bought "The Spirit of the South" and overhauled it and renamed it "Dixie Shadow". Taylor led midnight raids across the countryside and captured black people to take onboard the "Dixie Shadow" as entertainment. The ferry would head for deep water and women were "raped, beaten and thrown overboard". Taylor held what he czalled 'The Games' where black men were forced to fight and The Ferryman was his champion. "Taylor delighted most in turning captives loose on a deserted island to hunt them down like fair game" and it was on one island that he found the Box. Taylor solved the Box and was taken to Hell along with his crew. The Ferryman introduced Sam to Taylor who was still being tortured by the Cenobites.
- The Dixie Shadow was beached amongst the reeds of the cove.
- Deep Water
- After capturing black people Taylor took the Dixie Shadow to Deep Water and would drop anchor. The women's bodies were dumped here.
- Deserted Island
- "Taylor delighted most in turning captives loose on a deserted island to hunt them down like fair game". He found the Box here.
- Estate, Boyd
- The home of Sam Boyd. He left to find the Box when he heard the FBI was coming to see him.
- Location of the Boyd Estate.
- After Boyd solved the Box the Dixie Shadow set sail for "the deep, deep waters of Hell".
- House, Mattfield's
- The home of John Mattfield, on the coast. It was here that Mattfield told Boyd the legend of the Dixie Shadow. The FBI went here looking for Boyd.
- A home for the mentaly ill. The Guardian lived here, disguised as an old woman.
- Boat, Small
- A small Boat that was dead in the water. It was knocked out of the way by the Dixie Shadow as it went to Hell.
- The Box
- A decorated puzzle box that summons The Ferryman when solved. Taylor found it on a deserted island and was taken to Hell after solving it. Its Guardian was disguised as a black woman. Boyd believed the Box was the key to Taylor's lost fortune. Boyd found the Box on the Dixie Shadow and solved it.
- Taylor had two criteria for those he captured: "That the blood be red and the skin be black".
- Defence Fund
- Boyd's legal defence funds which he had run out of.
- Dixie Shadow
- Also: The Spirit of the South
- "An old riverboat converted for use as a ferry, early in the century". Originally called 'The Spirit of the South', Taylor purchased and "overhauled her and renamed her, Dixie Shadow" in the thirties. The Dixie Shadow was "a floating house of horrors". Taylor led midnight raids across the countryside to "capture blacks" and take them on board. "The Dixie Shadow would head for deep water... any captured women were routinely raped, beaten and thrown overboard". Taylor held 'games' "in a mock-colliseum on the main deck" where black prisoners were forced to fight and die. Taylor solved the Box onboard the Dixie Shadow and the next day is was found abandoned except for the Guardian as a child. The Dixie Shadow was left amongst the reeds in a local cove. Boyd went here in search of the Box. He solved it onboard and The Ferryman arrived. Boyd and his Aides were tortured by the Cenobites here. The Dixie Shadow set sail for Hell.
- See FBI
- The FBI were investigating Boyd who feared they would uncover his past as a High Klansman. Knowing the Feds (Federal Agents) were coming Boyd left to search for Taylor's treaure. The Feds told Mattfield that the probe was over and they were there to protect Boyd.
- High Klansman
- A leading member of the Ku Klux Klan. Both Taylor and Boyd had been High Klansmen.
- The horn of the Dixie Shadow was like a "tortured wail". The legend said it sounded whenever the Dixie Shadow claimed a new victim. Mattfield heard it after Boyd solved the Box.
- Midnight Raids
- Taylor went on "infamous midnight raids across the countryside to capture blacks for entertainment aboard his ship".
- The Spirit of the South
- See Dixie Shadow
- Treasure, Taylor's
- A local legend said Taylor's treasure was hidden somewhere in the area though Mattfield claimed it was an "old wives' tale". Boyd believed the Box was the key to finding Taylor's lost treasure. The treasure did not really exist, only the Box.
- White Man's America
- A racist concept of America for white men only. Boyd and Mattfield both fought for this as part of the Ku Klux Klan where they used the power of fear. Boyd believed the new weapon was power and wealth.
|(early in the century)
||"The Spirit of the South" is converted from a riverboat to a ferry.
Taylor buys the ferry and overhauls it as "Dixie Shadow". Taylor leads midnight raids to torture black people. Taylor solves the Box. Taylor, The Ferryman and his crew are taken to Hell. The Ferryman is made into a Cenobite.
Sam hears the legend of Taylor's treasure from Mattfield. Sam solves the Box and the Ferryman takes him to Hell.
Clive Barker's Hellraiser, Book 13: "The Ferryman" by Dean Schreck, Derek Yaniger & John Costanza
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow