The Devil's Brigade Part 4: Shoot High, Break Low
- Father Abaddon
- A Catholic priest "who announced his intention to go on the air" in opposition to Televangelist Samuel. A report about him was on Madame Mamiche's TV.
- Captain Arnold
- Introduced Lester and Jill to Matthew and Louis. When Lester hesitated in accepting the job of Special City Task Force, Captain Arnold glared at him so that they both agreed.
- Cenobite summoned by a puzzle box. He had large muscles, a brown crew cut and wore combat trousers. His skin was a pale blue, his face had patterns cut into it and ammo rounds were threaded through his skin and around his shoulders. When Madame Mamiche solved the puzzle box he bound her and took her to Matthew's home. He enlisted both their help, telling Matthew to set up the Special City Task Force and instructing Madame Mamiche to give Jill a fake tarot reading telling her she would do great work. He told them to tell Jill and Lester to go to 52 Catherine Street. He arrived first and killed everyone there.
- DaCinza, Chief of Police Louis
- A tall, older man with receding black hair and a thick moustache. He was a racist and didn't like "a colored mayor". He felt the city was falling apart and thought the Special City Task Force was just "a lousy PR stunt".
- Day, Assistant D.A. Matthew J.
- Young with slicked back brown hair and large, round glasses. He told Louis and Vanessa he was find a solution to the racial problems but didn't really know how. Atkins enlisted his help and told him to set up the Special City Task Force. Matthew told Jill and Lester they had been chosen for the job and he reassured Captain Arnold and Louis that he had a source that would lead to more arrests. In private he told Lester he could go far. Matthew told Lester and Jill to go to 52 Catherine Street.
- Drug Dealer
- Lester and Jill saw him selling drugs but he had nothing on him when they reached him.
- Elliot, Officer Jillian "Jill"
- Lester's partner. A middle-aged women with short, dark hair. Jill and Lester often argued over racial crimes in the city. She believed in fortune telling and visited Madame Mamiche which Lester teased her about. She told Matthew that they would be honoured to be the Special City Task Force and thought it might be a chance "to make a difference". Madame Mamiche told her she would cleanse the streets of crime. She trusted the source that told her to go to 52 Catherine Street and thought it made sense that she and Lester would have more information due to their new position in the Special City Task Force.
- George, Officer Lester
- Jill's partner. A black, older man with greying black hair and a thick moustache. Lester and Jill often argued over racial crimes in the city. He didn't believe in fortune telling and teased Jill about her beliefs. He wasn't sure about becoming the Special City Task Force but agreed when Captain Arnold glared at him. He thought the idea was stupid but told Matthew he could handle it. He was uncomfortable visiting 52 Catherine Street without back up and was suspicious of where their sources were getting their information.
- Madame Mamiche
- A black, elderly psychic who wore mystics clothing. Madame Mamiche solved the puzzle box and summoned Atkins who enlisted her help. She gave Jill a fake tarot reading, telling her she had great work to do. She later told her to visit 52 Catherine Street.
- The Mayor of Philadelphia, he is an older, black man with greying hair, dressed in a smart suit. He was concerned about the number of racial incidents in the city, especially as it was an election year. He told Vanessa, Matthew and Louis to make sure they make arrests and convictions. He supported the creation of a Special City Task Force.
- Officer at Desk
- A balding, grey-haired, older officer who worked at the front deak at the 14th District Station House. He told Lester and Jill that Captain Arnold wanted to see them. Afterwards he informed Jill that Madame Mamiche was there to see her.
- A Televangelist mentioned in a news report on Madame Mamiche's TV.
- D.A. Vanessa
- Middle-aged women with thick, black hair who wore a green dress. The Mayor wanted her to help find a solution to the race problemin the city. She felt the Chief of Police did not do his job properly.
- 14th District Station House
- Location of Captain Arnold's Office. Where Jill and Lester work.
- 52 Catherine Street
- A large, abandoned warehouse where criminals produced illegal drugs. Atkins instructed Matthew and Madame Mamiche to tell Lester and Jill to go here. They arrived to find everyone dead, killed by Atkins.
- Basement, City Hall
- It was here that Atkins instructed Matthew and Madame Mamiche to tell Lester and Jill to go 52 Catherine Street.
- City Hall
- It was here that Matthew told Louis and Vanessa that he would find a solution
to the racial problems.
- District 14
- An almost entirely black-populated district of Philadelphia. Where Jill and Lester work.
- District 21
- A mainly white-populated district of Philadelphia. "Two white kids shot a couple of black kids" in this district.
- District 23
- A group of white boys were involved in a racial incident here.
- House, Matthew J. Day's
- A large, terraced house. Matthew returned home to find Madame Mamiche tied up in his living room. It was here that Atkins instructed them both.
- Interrogation 4, Station House
- Madame Mamiche faked a tarot reading here and told Jill she had great work to do.
- Madame Mamiche's
- Madame Mamiche offered palm and tarot readings here. She summoned Atkins here.
- Office, Captain Arnold's
- Located at the 14th District Station House. Jill and Lester were introduced to Matthew and Louis here and assigned the position of Special City Task Force.
- Office, Mayor's
- Located at City Hall. It was here that the Mayor told Vanessa, Matthew and Louis he wanted results in the fight against racial crime.
- Location of District 14.
- A means of divination. Jill believed in the I-Ching but Lester thought it was "bullshit".
- PR stunt
- Public Relations. Louis felt the creation of the Special City Task Force was simply a stunt to keep the public happy and distracted by the real problems facing the city.
- Puzzle Box
- A black cube composed of smaller cubes decoated in white markings. Madame Mamiche solved this after two days and summoned Atkins.
- Special City Task Force
- Lester and Jill were made the Special City Task Force by Matthew. A "united front line against crime. Black and white, man and women, crossing all race and gender boundaries to work together to put an end to crime in Philadelphia". They were answerable to Matthew and Louis only. Louis felt it was just a PR stunt.
- A means of divination. Jill believed in reading the Stars but Lester thought it was "bullshit".
- A means of divination. Jill believed in Tarot readings but Lester thought it was "bullshit". Madame Mamiche conducted a fake reading under instructions from Atkins, telling Jill she had great work to do.
||An entire city block in Philadelphia is fire bombed.
|1991 (3 weeks ago)
Madame Mamiche recieves the puzzle box from her occult correspondence.
|1991 (2 weeks ago)
Madame Mamiche starts to try and solve the puzzle box.
|1991 (day 1)
||Jill and Lester fail to arrest a drug dealer. Madame Mamiche solves the puzzle box and summons Atkins. The Mayor demands a solution is found to Philadelphia's racial problems. Atkins enlists Madame Mamiche and Matthew.
|1991 (day 2)
Matthew gives Jill and Lester the duty of Special City Task Force. Atkins kills everyone at 52 Catherine Street.
|1991 (day 3)
Shortly After Midnight: Jill and Lester arrive at 52 Catherine Street and find everyone dead.
Clive Barker's Hellraiser, Book 9: "The Devil's Brigade Part 4: Shoot High, Break Low" by Erik Saltzgaber, Mark Bloodworth & Phil Felix
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow