To Prepare a Face
- Chanley, Lon / Face
- An actor that some called "the man with a thousand faces". He prided himself
on creating realistic masks for each role he plays. The face for Fagin in
Oliver Twist gave him trouble until he spied a man who had a perfect face
for the roll. A strange and "soundless explosion of light" killed the "Fagin"
victim in the Hollywood Mannequin shop. Chaney found the man's face hanging
from a mannequin's fingers and stole it. He traveled to London and stole a
face from a freak named Henrik to use in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
After the success of that movie, he proposed to Patty. She declined, explaining
that Norman asked first. In preparation for The Phantom of the Opera,
Chaney burned Norman's face with sulfuric acid. Detective Murray tried to
stop him, but he was taken to Hell by Pinhead. There, he was made into the
Cenobite named Face. As a Cenobite he had no skin on his face, attaching other
peoples over his head. He thought about trying screws to attach the faces
to his head because he was becoming used to the pain of staples.
- See Chanley, Lon / Face
- The unnamed owner of Hollywood Mannequins who Chanley felt would make the
perfect "Fagin". He was killed by a strange and "soundless explosion of light"
in his store. Chanley found his face and stole it to use in "Oliver Twist".
- A circus freak who had no arms and legs. Chanley drowned him and then dug
up the corpse and stole the face.
- Henrik's Mother
- She looked out her son at the circus and blamed herself for his death. She
later recognised his face in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and had the corpse
- Kerry, Norman
- He played Phoebus de Chateaupers in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
A fellow actor to Chanley, he always played the dashing hero. He proposed
to Patty and she accepted. Chanley started using sulphuric acid to burn Norman's
face shortly before Detective Murray arrived.
- Miller, Patricia "Patty" Ruth
- She played Esmerelda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. After its success
Chanley proposed to her but she turne dhim down having already accepted Norman's
proposal. She was to have played Christine in The Phantom of the Opera.
- Detective Murray
- "A bit of a film buff" who investigated the death of "Fagin". He interviewed
Chanley and got his autograph. When Henrik's face was found to be missing
he went to arrest Chanley only to see Pinhead escorting him to Hell.
- Chanley's mentor, he watched over the actor and eventually took him to Hell
to become the Cenobite "Face".
- Suggested the idea that Chanley was stealing faces and later witnessed Pinhead
taking the actor to Hell.
- Face's home. Pinhead took him there to become a Cenobite and he has "adapted
- The location where Lon Chanley made many of his films..
- Hollywood Mannequins
- Owned by "Fagin". A strange and "soundless explosion of light"
killed the him and Chaney found "Fagin's" face hanging from a mannequin's
- The location of the Morelli Brothers Circus.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Chanley played Quasimodo in this, using the face of Henrik. Henrik's mother
recognised her son in the film. Patty played Esmerelda whilst Norman played
- Morelli Brothers Circus
- A travelling circus which featured a freak show. It was in London when Chanley
- Oliver Twist
- A film in which Chanley played "Fagin" using the face of the costume shop
owner. It sold out for 13 weeks in a row during which time a woman claimed
to recognise the shop owners visage.
- The Phantom of the Opera
- Chanley was meant to play the Phantom but instead decided to transform Norman
into the part using acid. He was interrupted by Detective Murray before Pinhead
took him to Hell.
- Sulphuric Acid
- Chanley used this to burn Norman's face in order to make him the Phantom
of the Opera.
||Chanley steals "Fagin's"
face and makes "Oliver Twist".
Chanley steals Henrik's face to play Quasimodo in "The Hunchback of
Notre Dame". Chanley proposes to Patty but is turned down. Chanley tries
to burn Norman's face for "The Phantom of the Opera". Pinhead takes
Chanley to Hell to become "Face".
Clive Barker's Hellraiser, Book 4: "To Prepare a
Face " by Jan Strnad, Mark Chiarello & Gaspar
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow