- Max's Pain
- Max's editor in Hell. Claiming responsibility to "Leviathan, and to
the sponsors, and pressure groups... and to the audience," he mutilates
Max's miracle. First he plucks its left eye out, then he tears its left arms
off, and then he rips its penis off. When Max protests, he reassembles the
miracle and rips its heart out instead.
- Wayne, Max
- "Wasted most of his adult life toiling as a freelance writer"
in Burbank, California. In Hell, he "has wasted most of his afterlife
toiling as a freelance writer to create order from chaos." After an "unbroken
string of workmanlike scripts," Max finally created a miracle; something
he could consider art. When he brought his miracle to his editor, his editor
mutilated it to satisfy "Leviathan, and to the sponsors, and pressure
groups... and to the audience." Max protested and the editor reassembled
the miracle and plucked its heart out instead. Max decided not to put any
more heart into his writing in the future.
- Burbank, California
- Former home of Max Wayne, where he labored as a freelance writer.
- Current home of Max Wayne, where he labors to create order from chaos through
- A piece of writing that Max thinks "transcends the medium." In
Hell, it resembles a baby boy. Max's editor ripped it apart before finally
plucking out its heart.
- Oddly Seductive Story Problem
- The puzzle that sent Max Wayne to Hell.
||Max Wayne learns not to put
any heart into his writing.
Clive Barker's Hellraiser, Book 2: "Writer's Lament"
by Dwayne McDuffie, Kevin O'Neill & James Novak
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow